Can't find my website (piercebooks.com)? Sorry, I have decided to shut it down in order to focus on this blog page. All the same information but updated regularly! Thanks!

Check out all my books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New Book Update and Lessons Learned

Well, everyone, my editor is back from her honeymoon and working hard on the final edit.  We are about 2/3rds done and will hopefully finish by tomorrow.  So, The Devils Game will be uploaded by the end of the month but probably won't be live until the first of the month.  I feel bad that I'm not meeting my goal of June but some things are out of our hands.  Plus, better to wait a few extra days and put out the very best book possible.  I'm sure you all will agree.
My co-writer and I have learned a lot about self-publishing through this experience also. The first time I self published, I did it alone, almost secretly (pardon the pun as my first book is titled Secrets).  I alone was responsible for meeting deadlines.  So this time we learned some important lessons about giving beta readers deadlines (most were great about getting back to us in a short time) and giving enough time for the unexpected.  Basically, to be more like a business and less like friends having fun.
My advice would be to prepare beta readers ahead of time of a date when the book will be delivered and how long you are giving them to read and return comments.  Have them let you know if that works with their schedule.  Same with an editor.  Simple things that make a difference in your own stress level:)
Feel free to post other tips!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to have found your blog after following you on Twitter.

    Thanks for the great advice about beta readers and deadlines - helps to know these tips before self-pubbing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope you find my blog entertaining and informative.
    Yes, it may seem like a hobby but treating it like a business from the start will save a lot of trouble!

    ReplyDelete